POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: povray 3.6 make error: problem solved : Re: povray 3.6 make error: problem solved Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:37:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 make error: problem solved
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 25 Jul 2004 10:40:31
Message: <4103c65f$1@news.povray.org>
> - a (seemingly) buggy behavior of the compiler used -- here gcc,
>   possibly affecting all versions.

	Okay, that is actually _not_ a GCC bug (but a documented feature)
to treat the *_INCLUDE_PATH paths as system paths.  According to the gcc
info file/man page:

`CPATH'
`C_INCLUDE_PATH'
`CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH'
`OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH'

      <snip>
      `CPATH' specifies a list of directories to be searched as if
      specified with `-I', but after any paths given with `-I' options
      on the command line.  This environment variable is used regardless
      of which language is being preprocessed.

      The remaining environment variables apply only when preprocessing
      the particular language indicated.  Each specifies a list of
      directories to be searched as if specified with `-isystem', but
      after any paths given with `-isystem' options on the command line.
      <snip>

and:

`-isystem DIR'
      Search DIR for header files, after all directories specified by
      `-I' but before the standard system directories.  Mark it as a
      system directory, so that it gets the same special treatment as is
      applied to the standard system directories.

	So, setting e.g. CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH with a "." is surely a
mistake that should be avoided at all costs.

	- NC